Roses & Thorns

Roses & Thorns

Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Lumberjacks' Ball by Carrie Fancett Pagels


Blurb:

A decade after surviving a brutal attack, a mercantile owner’s daughter begins her life anew in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. A gifted craftsman wishes to leave the lumber camp and seeks employment at her new store. When his presence dredges up memories she wishes to suppress, the proprietress must learn to face her past and open her heart. When complications arise, will they overcome adversity in time for The Lumberjack's Ball?

Donna's Review:

This is a sweet historical, so there is no sex and only mild steam. Despite that, the book starts off good and pulled me in. There was a bit of a mystery with the characters which unfolds nicely. However, near the center, the story becomes a bit muddled and drags, and at times I was bored. But, I have to be honest, I did have a lot going on at the same time I was reading, so I cannot totally blame all my boredom on the plot.

The biggest problem is that I am not a fan of “sweet,” so this is more my issue than the plotting, which is well done. I also prefer longer books, and this one, while not a novella, is not long enough to really get deep into the characters nor to have a lot of plot elements going on. The story though, moves forward from one event to the next. The characters are well-done, if a little too sweet for my tastes, and Janie seems to find her faith without any real hardship on her part. It was also a little heavy on the Christian ejaculations, so do not read unless you are specifically looking for Christian content or if such does not bother you.

Having said all that, for those looking for a sweet historical, you will not be disappointed. You all know I try to rate according to story content, plotting, characterization, etc., and not on my own personal taste.

So I give this one four roses for a well-done sweet historical – even though it’s not my cup of tea, because all of the elements for a really, really good read are there.

Pages: 147 pages
Price:
Paperback: $6.47
Digital: $2.99

No comments:

Post a Comment